Celery Root Mash with Creamy Vegetable Sauce
Is celery root a new superfood? In fact celery root was known even in the ancient times for its amazing health benefits. You an consume not only celery stamps and leaves, but also the root. It is large in size – up to 2 kg. Very versitile and practical to use in vegan cooking. Celery root is really a unique vegetable because it contains a lot of fiber , very little calories and makes perfect purées, even though it has no starch. Can be considered as a potato alternative on a low carb diet as in 100 g. of the cooked celery root there is only 5,9 g.carbohydrates. It is also high in vitamins B6, C and K. Celery contains Phosphorus, Potassium and Manganese.
How to cook celery to preserve the majority of the vitamins ?
It is recommend best to steam it. Frying and Backing in the over are also good options.It is better to avoid boiling celery in water like potato because all the nutrients will be drained in that water.
Professional chefs add white wine into the celery root mash, but we will go the healthy way here and add some apple cider vinegar- it will add some acidic flavor and the vinegar as lots of health benefits on its own 🙂
What do I need ?
Celery root mash
For 3 portions
- 600 g. of Celery root;
- 50 g. of yellow onion or shallots
- 2 tbsp. Of Apple cider vinegar
- Dried herbs of choice ( oregano , rosemary, marjoram)
- 150 ml. of vegetable stock
Creamy vegetable sauce
- 500 g. Vegetables or choice ( I prefer champions, carrots, onions, zucchini)
- 150 g. of cooked white cannelloni beans
- 1 tbsp. of balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic
- 150 ml. of unsweetened plant milk of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Celery root puree
- Peel the hard celery coat by cutting out from each side on a board;
- Cut the celery into pieces and place the celery into a steamer
- Cut the onion in half and put into the steamer next to the celery;
- Steam for around 15-20 minutes or until tender;
- In a blender or food processor mix the steamed celery, onion, vegetable stock, apple cider vinegar and mix well until puree texture.
- Cut mushrooms, carrots and zucchini into cubes;
- Chop an onion and garlic;
- Saute an onion on a medium high heat with a little oil or water;
- Add the rest of the vegetables and saute another 5-6 minutes;
- Add the white beans and dried herbs and stir well and coat them in all the juices from the pan;
- Pour balsamic vinegar and plant milk over and give it a quick boil;
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
<script data-ad-client="ca-pub-2264716424891425" async src="https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>