Purple Baked Potatoes with Sweet Brussels Sprouts
Add some brightness to your food with these beautiful rich purple potatoes and boost your immunity with green Brussels sprouts.
How does it taste?
Have you ever tried purple potatoes? It was my first time, I got them in France , they don’t sell them in Germany! At least I’ve never seen them before. Went for classics – baked potato wedges, avocado-garlic mash and some sweet spiced Brussel sprouts with onions. Love it! They are tender inside and a little crispy outside, a perfect balance of sweetness and salt. If you are using organic potatoes, it is good for your health to leave the skin on as it as some extra vitamins and minerals. However if the potatoes are heavily sprayed with chemicals, I highly recommend to remove the skin, even if you go for the wedges.
Spices is what makes the dish stand out. They give a dish a curtain flavour and also add to your food’s nutritional value. Spices are high in antioxidants and help our body to prevent various diseases by eliminating toxins and improve digestion. That is why I recommend to “invest” in organic, high quality spices , that way you the taste of your dish will be richer and the positive impact on your health – higher.
My favourite spices to add in this dish are : Smoked sweet paprika, Turmeric, Nutmeg, Cinnamon. Here are some organic high quality spices, which I have found on Amazon for the UK and the US:
What do i need?
- Potatoes 500 gr. for 3 big portions
- Brussels sprouts 500 gr.
- Spices: nutmeg, pepper, cinnamon, smoked paprika etc.
- 1 large avocado
- 1 garlic cloves
- dried herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the potatoes into wedges
- Preheat the oven over 180° C
- Add spices : paprika, Dried Oregano, herbs of your taste
- Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil and mix
- Spread on the parchment paper or a baking tray.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until soft.
- Remove the outer leaves of each piece
- Steam the sprouts for 10-15 minutes in a steamer
- Saute 1 large onion on a pan and then add the steamed sprouts
- Add ground nutmeg, cinnamon, sweet smoked paprika, white pepper
- Saute for a couple of minutes
- squeeze some lemon juice on top.
- Peel an avocado
- Add 1 garlic clove
- Puree it with a mixer or blender
- You can mash it with a fork and add garlic from a garlic press
Serve potatoes and sprouts with fresh dill, avocado mash and add salt to taste.